CU!2022 – “The Journey”
Our home for the week is a boarding school and all our planned activities and free time are based in the school buildings and grounds.
The school is, by law, a non-smoking site.
We ask that everybody on the holiday looks after and shows respect to the buildings, the surroundings and any school staff they encounter whilst at Curtains Up!
We have 3 Theme Nights during the week – these were voted for by everyone on the last event we were able to hold in person, in 2019. Dress up as much or as little as you like and take part in a range of activities based on the theme: in the past we’ve had a wide variety ranging from very simple costumes (e.g. pictures on t-shirts) to elaborate constructions made from cardboard; though bear in mind you might want to be able to move a bit and sit down! (If you really hate dressing up you don’t have to – you will still be part of your group.)
1) Literary Characters – an evening of adventures based on different characters from literature. Which books? It’s a surprise! But we’d love you to dress up as someone from a book (any book that you like, from any country) and join in!
2) Sci Fi Escape Rooms – help your group escape by solving puzzles and riddles. It doesn’t matter how much (or how little!) you know about Science Fiction, whether you have ever done an Escape Room or not. Base your outfit on anything related to sci fi: this could be a dalek or a delorean but if you are not Em and those things don’t feature in your favourite TV and film then there are a lot of other options! (Nobody will be physically locked / trapped inside a room and nobody will be on their own.)
3) World-o-Vision – think Eurovision Song Contest, but worldwide and not just singing! Wear a smart outfit to help us celebrate on what will be the final night at CU!2022!
To Bring / Not To Bring
You are responsible for all your belongings on site and for making sure they return home again: we have nowhere to store them so will not be taking lost property away with us at the end of the week. We will have a lost property table on the last morning for you to check before you leave!
Yes – please bring these things.
- Sheet (single bed size)
- Duvet in duvet cover OR Sleeping Bag
- Pillow with Pillow Case
- Clothes for the week
- Night Clothes
- Wash Kit (including soap, toothbrush and toothpaste)
- Literary Characters Theme Night Outfit
- Sci Fi Escape Room Theme Night Outfit
- Smart clothes for World-o-Vision Theme Night
- Clothing / items that might be useful for your workshops (email to follow about this soon)
- Bible (if you do not have one please let us know and we will provide one)
- Prescription medication: this needs to be handed in to our First Aider when you arrive on site (apart from asthma inhalers and epipens, though we do still need to know about these). Please only bring medication that we know about, either from your health form or a follow up email if something changes once your form was completed
- Sunscreen / sunglasses / etc if it’s likely to be hot
Maybe – bring these things if you would like to.
- Refillable drinks bottle (we will provide drinks in the day but if it’s hot this is likely to be very useful)
- Shop-bought (unopened) biscuits to share on site: to be handed in on arrival (we are not able to give Cast home-baked goods due to dietary requirements)
- Notebook & Pen
- Money for the tuck shop (you won’t need any other money unless it’s for your journey home)
No – please do not bring these things.
- Ibuprofen / paracetamol / antihistamine cream: these things are available from our First Aider if consent has been given through your Health Form
- Medication that we don’t know about
- Valuable items – please see additional note about mobile phones below
- Anything Illegal!
- We know that most of our Cast are likely to bring phones and / or devices which enable internet access – we ask that these are switched off in all organised activities and that they are not used in any way that disturbs others (including anyone you are sharing a room with at night).
- Some people on site are not allowed to have their photos or videos shared online so please do not do this without permission.
- EXTRA NOTE FOR PARENTS / CARERS: Holiday Leaders Em, Matt and Alex will share their mobile numbers via email with you before CU! starts. Matt’s phone will be on all through the day and night in case you need to contact us in an emergency. Occasionally in the past, a parent / carer has needed to pass on bad news to their young person – it is really helpful if Holiday Leaders are also informed so that we can be better placed to support your child. It is also really helpful if parents / carers let us know if Cast tell them about things that are causing unhappiness, even if these are very small things: we will do anything we can to help.
This is a provisional overview of a general day on site for Cast (young people) – some days will be a bit different and we can give you more information if you need it.
Nobody will be forced to take part in things if they really don’t want to, though we do ask that all Cast are present at all activities as this is one of the ways Crew (leaders) make sure you are safe and check that we’re helping you have as good a holiday as possible.
This is your holiday and we are very happy to listen to feedback about things that are going well and ideas you have about how we might make CU! even better. You will be able to do this in person or through a suggestions box if you prefer to write things down.
- 7.15am If you are someone who wakes up early, from this time you can be in The Green Room* from this time.
- 8.15am Breakfast (everyone takes turns to help clean the Dining Room).
- 9.30am Main Workshop (chosen before the holiday, these are arts workshops).
- 11am Drinks.
- 11.30pm Study Groups (time in small groups to read the Bible, do activities, chat and pray).
- 1pm Lunch.
- 2pm Workshop (these will vary each day with a variety of things throughout the week, some of these will be arts workshops but there will be other things too).
- 3.30pm Drinks.
- 4.30 Meeting (everyone meets together to explore the Bible in creative ways – we are going to be looking at the Easter Story in the book of Mark but it doesn’t matter whether you know this really well, have never heard it before or somewhere in between).
- 6pm Dinner (everyone takes turns to help clean the Dining Room).
- 7.30pm This is the time of day that we are able to use the Sports Hall and field so we are keeping the evenings flexible to be able to do more active and maybe outside activities as well as chilled out options which could include things like films (due to the age range of the holiday these will be rated 12 or younger) and board games. There will be some choice here so there should be something for everyone.
- 9pm Night Light (a short time in Study Groups with an activity to check in at the end of the day).
- 9.30pm From now, Cast can choose to go to bed if they would like to or can stay up a bit longer in The Green Room* with other Cast and Crew.
- 10.30pm All Cast go to bed by now. There will be Crew around for a while after this to make sure everyone is settled, then a clear point of contact in case of difficulty through the night.
*The Green Room is sort of like a common room, space where people can congregate when organised activities aren’t happening and at the beginning and end of the day. We usually have things like board games, colouring, jigsaws, etc if you would like to do these, or there are usually people around to chat to, play mafia or drama games. This isn’t an organised session so it’s somewhere to make yourself at home.
Arrival and Departure
Luckley House School, Luckley Road, Wokingham, Berkshire, RG40 3EU.
This is the Luckley House School website if you would like to see a bit more about it: https://www.luckleyhouseschool.org/
ARRIVAL: Sunday 31st July 2022.
You will have been sent more details by email – please get in touch with us if you need more information.
- By car: Crew (Team) will be ready to welcome you between 3pm and 4pm.
- By train: From 2.30pm – 3.30pm, if we’ve been told in advance, Crew (Team) will be waiting at the station to meet you before driving you to Luckley House School.
Our first planned activity will start at 4pm.
DEPARTURE: Sunday 7th August 2022.
- If Cast are being collected by car, those collecting them are welcome to arrive from 10am (no earlier please).
- If Cast are travelling by train they need train tickets from 12.30pm onwards to allow us time to get to the station.
11am – Final Performance.
We end the holiday with a short performance of pieces from the week (performed to those who are collecting Cast by car) which begins promptly and will last approximately half an hour. Cast and Crew work together to create something new rather than rehearsing a pre-written piece.
Art work created during the week will be on display ready to be collected as you leave, and there will be a table with any lost property on it to check – everyone is responsible for their own things throughout the holiday and we are unable to take lost property home with us so it’s really important that you check this table – we will remind you on the day!
We need to be completely clear of the Theatre building by 12 noon.
The Curtains Up! Crew are a fantastic bunch of volunteers who pay to come to CU! each year. A lot of them grew up as Cast on the holiday and loved it so much they wanted to stay!
Matt has been on the holiday since it first started in 1999, taking on the role of Holiday Leader with Em in 2003 and being joined by Alex in 2008. We are the people to talk to if you have any questions or concerns and we will do our best to help.
I’m Alex and I’m a writer! I love baking, Bolton Wanderers and the Eurovision Song Contest. I also really enjoy performing on stage, particularly in musicals – I’m in a production of Evita in October!
I’m Em and I’ve been part of SU holidays since I was 13, when I was told I could make a decision about following Jesus. I love theatre, reading real books, Doctor Who, board games, quizzes and conversations with people IRL. It’s been awesome watching so many young people grow up at CU! and I’m so looking forward to being back in person!
I’m a technician and can usually be found designing, building and fixing lighting, sound and video systems! When I’m not doing that I’m kept quite busy being a Dad and a very proud space geek!